It’s a family recipe!
This is a brunch classic!
It is best served with toast and drenched in molasses or maple syrup.
6 to 8
|dried white beans||450 g (1 lb)|
|mustard powder||15 ml (1 tablespoon)|
|white vinegar||15 ml (1 tablespoon)|
|large white onion, diced||1|
|molasses||80 ml (1/3 cup)|
|salt pork, cut into pieces||200 g (7 oz)|
|shortening||125 g (4.4 oz)|
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water for at least 8 hours. Drain the beans when you are ready to start baking.
- Position the baking rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 225 °F (110 °C).
- Combine all of the ingredients in an oven-safe baking dish or casserole.
- Cover the bean mixture in 2 inches (5 cm) of water.
- Bake, covered, for 7 hours or until almost all of the water has been absorbed.
- Increase the oven temperature to 350 °F (176 °C), remove the lid and continue baking for and additional 30 minutes.
Important: Add water as needed during baking.
You can substitute the salt pork for sliced bacon.